Thursday, May 15, 2014

the Crossover - open heart verses

The first thing that I liked about this is book is its cover. It shows a man walking out of darkness to the path of light. As I read the verses within, I realized that the cover page has very adeptly depicted the underlying theme of all the verses that follow. Through the verses you can sense the poet's journey from turmoil to peace.

The book is divided into three sections: Dream, Reality and The Path.

The verses flowing through Dream are the ones I liked the best. It hints of the poet's oneness with nature, with a spirit above and with his own inner self.

the poet says:

amidst mountains of mist
lies the truth deep within
between frozen moments in time
mind evolves towards bliss

Yet, it leaves me longing for more poetic expression in the poet's words. The underlying thoughts are beautiful  in each of the verse but as verses, in most places, they fail for me.

the poet says:

i ride on an ants back
to see its unseen track
it gives me goodies to eat
and they taste so sweet

I would have found these lines very endearing if my 8 year old nephew had written them. But reading them here as a part of a published collection by a grown up for another grown up, I am left wishing for more.


As the poet moves to Reality, we find him dealing with different subjects of the modern world. Through his words, he points out the flaw in them. The subjects range wide. Sometime he talks of the outer world where people go to discos in fancy dresses, only to impress other people while completely ignoring their inner selfs. Sometime he talks of the widening gap between the rich and the poor in a world full of high price tags. Again, the subjects are mature but I find the words lacking a bit in maturity. Also, when I say the words lack maturity, I do not mean that I am disappointed by lack of "fancy words"; I am myself a believer of verses in plain simple words. What disappoints me is the inability of the poet to string these words together into a more matured expression of his thoughts.


the poet says:

hello jumping jack
get off my back
stop giggling around
and get back to track

are you nuts
are you insane
all your attempts to impress
will go in vain

Yes, again I am reminded of my 8 year old nephew!

What is often brilliant though here is the thought process of the poet, and whenever his words has matched his thoughts, we come across brilliant lines of verses. One of my favourites is:

light cannot contain darkness
but darkness can contain light
if we are open to destroy all our beliefs
only then we can reach a greater height

Finally we come to the last section of the book, The Path. Here the poet points out the path to peace, spirituality and the inner world. And he has done a good job. Very matured thought process, and his style of expression is much better here.


The book is an interesting read. But I feel it is best suited for readers who are below 16- 18 years. Readers above this age group would have higher expectation in form of maturity in expression and in this regard,  The Crossover will be a  disappointing experience for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment