Tuesday, May 27, 2014

every book has a right time for each reader: on reading Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith

Do books have soul? Sometime I feel they do. I think, when a book is born, it is born with a soul. And when that book is published and reprinted, the same soul keeps beating as one among the million and million copies of the same title. So all The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - those millions and billions of copies  - some lying by unmade beds, some in neatly dusted libraries, some lying forgotten in crevices of  drawers and desks, some being read by people travelling in buses and trains and flights even as we are reading this line - all of the them have the same soul coursing through their pages.

And soul falls in love. Sometime, when a reader reads a book very lovingly, may be the book falls in love with the reader too. And, if you start reading a book when its soul is already in love with another reader; you will never fall in love with that book - however great a book it might be.

At such time, we must keep the book aside, and pick it up later. We need to pick up the book after the first reader is done reading the book; after he has read the last page, shut down the cover and put it back among the other books in the library.

When we read the book then, we will fall in love with it. And the book will love us back with all its soul.

When I first read this fantastic book, Girl meets Boy by Ali smith in the April of 2013, I strangely could not keep going through the pages. I know its a great book, I was loving the words within but I could not carry on with it. So I kept it aside. And now, in the May of 2014, I am reading Girl meets Boy and loving every page, every word in it. And every word, every page of the book is loving me back, with all its soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment